Sunday, August 13, 2017

10 Reasons Why Everyone Hates Bowling: One Reason I Love It Now

Yes, it's true. Over a year in Utah, and we finally ventured out to Payson to go bowling. "...or we could hang ourselves. Let's go bowling!"

For those of you not yet familiar with Jim Gaffigan's stand up routine on bowling watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5fm7QPA9zY or search on youtube.

I'll be honest, I really don't enjoy bowling. Heck, I can't even begin to imagine why. Oh wait, yes I can. See if you can relate.
1.) Who pays money to rent shoes they don't want to wear? Come on, you all know what I'm talking about.
2.) I usually end up with the broken lane, introduced by an overwhelmingly unenthusiastic staff member. "You're on lane 4, oh yeah it's not labeled anymore, just go to that filthy terminal, you might have to press really hard on the left arrow key, It'll be fine."
3.) They spray the shoes, but who cleans the bowling balls!? You want me to stick my fingers where?!
4.) Want a green ball? It's not in your size. Give up on color and just find something that fits your fingers? Your thumb fits but you're afraid if you do manage to fit your fingers in the other 2 wholes, when and if you actually to throw the ball it'll break your fingers and drag you halfway down the lane before  your head ends up in the gutter.
5.) You finally find a ball that fits all of your fingers (probably a hot pink) and you begin to worry whether anyone else will notice that you have dainty wrists.
6.) Your shoe laces are always WAY too long.
7.) I don't even know what the different lines are for so I always choose the second line, a little to the left of center.
8.) By time I release the ball, I'm pretty sure my wrong foot is forward. Not only did I overthink which foot I should step forward with first before I started awkwardly striding down the runway, but do an awkward little hop on the same leg as I rolled my ball with.
9.) Unless it's a strike, 99% of the time there is no right way to walk back to your friends/date. I can seriously think of 100 more pleasant uncomfortable things.
10.) Halfway back it clicks that you're either 100% repressing your emotions and are beginning to think the ball with the two smaller holes, broken fingers and your head in a gutter would have been a more attractive out. Either that or you're over-reacting in way that neither matches your disappointment, nor it's exact opposite, heck, I never know how to react, but you can bet I feel like you owe some kind of answer to my friends, even if  I know in my head that they don't care. Lol. Apologetic is the only thing that comes to mind. Ev. E. Ry. TIME!
I admit that it's still awkward for me to bowl, but to switch things up, I tried to go all out and add an element of fun to distract me from the discomfort I associate with bowling. It's a fun date idea. It's not for everyone, but it was fun for me and entertaining for my wife. I asked Josie to select a personality that I could attempt to imitate. I'll be the first to admit that I'm a little uncomfortable acting so I was over the top, and that's okay. I believe it's good to give yourself permission to be silly, it it bring you or your company joy. If viewing my dorky over-acting give even one of you the courage to give yourself permission to be silly, I'll count my video a success. It's not my intent to impress anyone. I've still got my reservations. =)



No comments:

Post a Comment