Saturday, September 17, 2016

Our Story - Engagement at Disneyland (Her Favorite Place)

I don't get sick. I hadn't gotten sick for a couple years so far as I could remember anyway, but that evening before we all left for Disneyland, I could feel it. Josie suggested that I take some NyQuil so I could get some rest. I had never taken NyQuil before I figured because it had alcohol in it. My mother was very much into herbs and had always helped me keep sickness at bay. I didn't bring my traditional Echinacea and Golden Seal, Kyolic, and 1000mg Vitamin C supplements which was what I usually relied on when I got a tickle, so I said, what the heck, I'll try it.

Turns out, NyQuil and Jake pretty much equates to an 18 hour coma induction. I slept all night, and the whole car trip to California. It's a pretty funny inside joke now among the Robinson family. And to this day I have not taken NyQuil since. =) I will do DayQuil though, THAT stuff was made of miracles for me when already sick. The ability  to breath again and feel nasal relief was oh so satisfying.

Let me back up, it may be good context to say that while I was supposed to be "at work" I was out shopping for Josie's wedding ring. The service manager for Chuck-a-Rama (where Jos worked at the time) saw me walking outside Jared's with a big smile on my face, so of course that means, tell Josie. (Chris you will never live it down buddy!) So Jos already knew something was up. What she didn't know however, was that, even though I was pretty passionate about just getting a larger cubic zirconia gem for the main ring, Josie was passionately opposed and really wanted a legit diamond. I really hadn't been able to save up for the kind of ring a woman like Josie deserves, but I thought, as long as the engagement ring has a real diamond in it instead of a fake one, I'd have to stick to my budget and get a relatively small diamond.


I didn't realize then that I'd be getting second hand comments on how "cute" the ring was. Or how it was "such a small and simple diamond". It was what I could afford at the time and did finally upgrade it thankfully. It was a difficult couple of years, so readers unmarried beware - get it right the first time. =)



Anyway, back to drugged Jake and Disneyland. We first went to jungle cruise, then a few others. Finally, her favorite ride, "The Haunted Mansion". As soon as we stepped into the buggy, I made sure I got the ring out securely into my left hand, allowing Josie to get in first. Then, as soon as the buggies turned in the dark, I slipped the ring on her finger! She was SO mad cause she couldn't see it and had to sit all the way through the ride before she'd find any light. She smiled and laughed and we excitedly ran outside where one of her attending friends was ready with a camera.


Not the best audio, and I had all but already lost my voice from being sick, but the jest of what I said was as follows:
"Josie Lynn Robinson, when we first talked about rings you were adamant about getting a diamond, because diamonds are forever, and you wanted us to be forever. I want you to know that you mean more to man than anything in the world, I want you to be my forever. So I present you with this diamond and ask, if you'd be make me the happiest man in the world and be my forever? Will you marry me?"
Then she tackled me, wouldn't answer until after she was done hugging me. I figured, cause she was smiling and crying it was a yes but then her brother told me my shoe was untied and she said I don't know, then no, (the tease) and finally "Yes, of course I'll marry you!"

Happiest day of my life up to that point.

No comments:

Post a Comment