Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Our Story - From Dating to Exclusive Dating

It was spring of 2011 when I met her. Unbeknownst to me, I stole her chair at orientation training at Chuck A Rama. I got hired because I was the owner's friend's roommate. She got hired because she was from Las Vegas where the Service Manager was from. She claimed her stuff, which I clearly was oblivious to when I sat down, but immediately apologized. She gave a "seriously-but-whatever" glance for about a half second before accepting my apology with a flirty smile and volunteered to sit elsewhere.

She didn't know that I would have immediately released her seat back to her, had I been a second or two ahead, but her stunning smile left me blank-minded and slightly abashed. After all, what guy doesn't look forward to being one of the few male servers surrounded by so many beautiful young women? Well, one less person to try to impress, I tried to silver-line the moment, what are the chances that it had to be the most beautiful girl there? I didn't know then how rude I had been, or home much I'd come to love and rely upon her quick and clever response times. Or that out of the male severs, I'd be the luckiest of them all.

At the time, I was still getting over a confusing break-up that happened 4 months previous. It was difficult for me to get over because, every breakup in the past, I had always remained decent if not great friends with, after the break-up. I supposed in hind-site I needed this very really and very painful break-up to help me understand and sympathize with the only type of break-up Josie had ever known. "It's just weird" she'd later discuss, "that you're still friends with people you had feelings for! What does it matter anymore? Isn't that awkward, or confusing? When you break-up, it's over, no one wants anything to do with you anymore." This is a thing I had previously never supposed, but am glad to have experienced for empathy sake.

Our first date brought us to Charlie's Ice Cream Shop. From the time she picked me up, through the time we sat in the parlor, to nearly midnight as we sat in the car not wanting to leave each other, we were like instant best friends, laughing, making jokes, swapping stories and had one of the best times I've had for a very long time! This was definitely a second date must kind of girl. That's when I knew this could turn into a very good thing! I couldn't wait to ask her on another date.

For our second date we walked a little over a block with buckets, soap and broom in hand to do a volunteer service project cleaning off park benches, and sweeping wood chips off the side-walk. I swept her off her feet by incorrectly and clumsily singing Chim-chimery from Mary Poppins.

Our third date was planned, but delayed by an evening due to my choosing to go skateboarding, broke myself, got hauled off by an ambulance and being told to crutch away and that my fractured pelvis and 10th rib would take about 4-6 months to full heal and to keep all weight off it for 2 months.

I made a silly promise that I would never seriously date a co-worker in the event that drama might potentially creep into the workplace should things not work out... but since I could no longer wait tables... =) Her visiting me daily and taking care of me won my heart over.

A therapist I was meeting with around the same time had asked me why I was almost 26 and not married. He seemed to think my slow pace of waiting to hold hands for a few weeks into dating, and not kissing until a few weeks after that was ridiculously slow, and how was a woman to wait around that long, or even know if she was interested if we waited so long to show physical affection? Needless to say I bravely tried kissing Josie on the 3rd date after she was sending some REAL strong signals. =)

At the start of each next three week, (I might as well mention it since Josie won't let me live it down, haha) I tried breaking up with her. THREE times! And each time she retorted that I can't simply kiss her and then try to break up with her as if I got what I wanted and was done with her. I agreed with her, but was REALLY struggling with how fast things were going, how lame (literally could not walk) I was, and how boring it must be for her to have her stick around. After the third attempt to break-up, she confessed that no one had ever treated her or respected her the way I had, she fought tooth and nail, so I resorted to the only thing I knew how to do when faced with a difficult decision. Pray, but pray together. As I asked that the Holy Ghost be present to guide me in what I should pray for, an undeniable wave of peace and comfort came over me, followed by a coarse rebuking thought, "Jake, ya dork, I've sent you EXACTLY what you've asked for, don't mess this up."

Ever since, I have never once doubted my relationship with Josie. Things were much easier and when I prayed to know whether we were compatible for marriage, the answer came again and again, "As long as you both put the Lord first in your relationship, things will always work out. The rest is history, which I'll most likely continue in another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment